Yogurt or Sour Cream Crumb Fruit Topping
photo by Mrs Goodall
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup pumpernickel bread, crumbs (fine soft crumbs) or 1/2 cup rye breadcrumbs (fine soft crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar (or more) or 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or more)
- 1 cup plain yogurt or 1 cup sour cream, chilled
- 4 4 bananas (or other fruit) or 4 cups red cherries (or other fruit)
- Slowly saute bread crumbs in butter until toasted and very crisp, stirring frequently.
- Allow crumbs to cool and drain on paper towel.
- Mix with sugar to sweeten.
- Whip chilled yogurt until smooth, turn into serving bowl and sprinkle with crumb mixture.
- Spoon over chilled fruits.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
What to do with leftover pumpernickel? Make this great topping! Super easy, I made as directed (using brown sugar). I really liked the crunch and toasted flavor of the crumb, and think I might change the ratio next time and lessen the sugar and increase the crumb. I served over yogurt with peaches and bananas! Thanks for posting Dreamer!! Made for CQ 2017, Scandinavia.
Although I usually try to follow recipe & not change things very much, that was probably not the case when I made yours! I already had enough dried bread crumbs onhand, but they were coarse & from a loaf of whole grain bread ~ I simply melted the butter & added it to the bread crumbs, then spread them out on some paper towel for 15-20 minutes, then went from there with the sugar! I also used a fat-free vanilla yogurt, & after finishing this crumb topping, it all went over a couple of bowls of freshly pitted cherries! All that just to tell you that we thoroughly enjoyed your recipe, & I'll be keeping a copy of it around to make again in the future! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed as a recipenap in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 24]