* Mix the garlic, soy sauce, sugar, rice wine, spring onion and pepper with half the oil in a large bowl and add the steak.
* Mix well, cover and leave in the refrigerator overnight.
* Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan, and when it is just beginning to smoke, put in the beef cubes, in one layer. Cook, without stirring, for about 1 minute - there should be a thin crust at the bottom.
* Shake the pan vigorously to loosen the beef (use tongs or chopsticks if you need to) and continue to cook, shaking the pan every so often, until the beef is cooked to your taste.
* Allow 4 minutes for medium-done beef.
* Serve with the Lime and Ginger sauce, rice and Chinese leaf salad.