Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
This is a wonderful old fashioned dish that I'm sure you will enjoy. My family loves stuffed cabbage rolls, but I found that it took to much time to assemble, so I came up with this.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean hamburger (90% lean)
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked white rice (not instant I recommend Uncle Ben's)
- 1 egg
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 small sweet onion
- salt & pepper
- Chop cabbage into pieces, par-boil until almost tender.
- Remove, rinse with cold water.
- Drain well.
- Mix all of ingredients EXCEPT tomato sauce.
- Grease casserole dish.
- Place 1/2 can of tomato sauce on bottom of dish.
- Spread half of cooked cabbage over sauce, then layer all of meat mixture over cabbage, cover meat with the rest of cabbage, pour rest of tomato sauce over cabbage.
- Bake 325°F in covered dish for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- This is the basic recipe--you can add more of whatever you like.
- My mother says she used ground turkey instead of hamburger and she liked it just fine.
- Try this old fashioned dish and feel the love.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Absolutely delish! I didn't follow the recipe exactly, but it turned out amazing! I didn't have any tomato paste, so I added 26 oz of tomato sauce to make up for it. I also realized I didn't have any beef, so I substituted spicey sausage and wow! I think this made it! The sweet mixed with spicey is awesome!Reply
see 15 more