photo by Foodie Blog Stalker
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package shell macaroni, cooked and drained
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies (mild)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Brown ground beef and onion over medium heat; drain.
- Add the water, taco seasoning and tomato sauce.
- Mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in macaroni, chilies and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.
- Pour into a greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 32 more reviews
We made this with some changes (as usual). I had only thawed 1/2 lb of ground beef so I just used an extra 8 oz. of noodles instead of the other half pound of beef. My picky son cleaned his plate and my husband and I both felt that it was just hot enough with the green chilies. We did serve it with a dollop of sour cream and that set off the flavors perfectly. Another meal to add to the "easy weeknight" rotation! Thanks, Linda!
Very tasty! I had to use rotini because that's all I had and I took the suggestion to use salsa instead of tomato sauce. I used 1/2 lb ground turkey breast & 1/2 lb ground sirloin, and used lowfat Mexican blend shredded cheese. It only took 20 minutes in the oven. My dh, toddler, and I all thought it was good -- my picky 7-year-old thought it was "okay".
I made this for supper tonight and my family ate it but they thought it needed something. If I made it again I would use salsa in place of the tomato sauce and I'd add corn or black beans or maybe black olives. Or maybe a can of Rotel tomatoes. It wasn't bad, though, we just like our food a little more zippy.