Ultimate Shepherd's Pie
Great old Irish stand-by... Additional Information: You can also make a "bottom crust" of mashed potatoes too (look for recipe).
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces beef broth
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons flour (called a roux)
- 2 lbs potatoes, cooked and mashed
- Cook ground beef in frying pan until brown. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Lower heat and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in enough of the butter/flour roux to make a thick gravy to bind the filling. Pour into large shallow baking pan and cool. The filling should be about 1-1/2 inches deep.
- Cover the meat mixture in the pan with the corn and then top with the hot mashed potatoes. Smooth potatoes evenly, brush surface with butter. Bake at 325°F for 35-40 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
We loved this shepard's pie! Wonderful flavour! I had no celery in so I added some frozen peas and a few lima beans, other than that followed the recipe exactly except for the butter on top of the potatoes, instead I sprinkled shreaded parmesan and chopped parsley on top. Will definately be making this again, thanks for posting.Reply