Traditional Shepherd's Pie
photo by Mary Cokenour
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground lamb (depending on which pie is being made) or 2 1/2 lbs ground beef (depending on which pie is being made)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce or 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut up
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, high heat, brown the meat and drain excess oil. Add the onion and mushrooms, letting cook till the onion softens. Add tomato and Worcester sauces, frozen vegetables, herbs, pepper, flour and beef stock; mix thoroughly and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- While meat mixture is simmering, boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain and mash the potatoes, add butter, milk, grated cheese and pepper to the potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F In a 3 quart rectangular baking dish, spread 1/2 potatoes on bottom of baking dish; spread out the meat mixture; top with the other 1/2 of potatoes; sprinkle paprika over top. Bake for 30-40minutes; potatoes should be lightly browned, and the pie heated thoughout.