Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
photo by Laka
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 600 g rhubarb, washed, cleaned and cut into small sticks
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup light muscovado sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 280 g butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup demerara sugar
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a bowl, combine rhubarb, cornstarch and Muscovado sugar. In another bowl, sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a small skillet, mix the brown sugar and 50 g of butter. Place over medium heat and stir until smooth and bubbling. Keep warm.
- With a hand held mixer beat 230 g butter and caster sugar until light. Add lemon zest and vanilla extract. Cream until light and fluffy, scraping down sides often.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Mix to combine after each addition.
- Beat in the sour cream and lemon juice (it may look curdled at this point). Add the flour mixture, 1/3 cup at a time, until combined.
- Line bottom and sides of 9-inch spring-form pan with parchment paper. Wrap two layers of foil in the pan and place it on a baking sheet (to prevent leaking).
- Pour the brown sugar mixture into the prepared spring-form pan, then add the rhubarb. Pour the batter over everything, smoothing it over.
- Bake the cake in the oven at 160?C for 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool (with the foil turned down a bit) on a wire rack for only 15 minutes. Run a knife around the cake, place a plate on top and turn it upside down. Removed the foil and released the spring-form sides carefully.
- Cool completely before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Food lover, wine and espresso drinker, chocolate addict. I love my family, my dog (when I have it) and my food processor. I cook every single day since I married and probably will until the day I die. I love to share my recipes that are straightforward to prepare, yet are exceptionally tasty and look so good. I hope you feel inspired by my recipes and that they find life in your kitchen!