Rhubarb Custard Pie
photo by Debber
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- Spread thinly sliced rhubarb in bottom of unbaked pie shell.
- Heat milk; add butter.
- Beat egg yolks; add sugar, flour, salt.
- Gradually pour hot milk mixture into egg mixture.
- Pour this custard mixture over the rhubarb; sprinkle nutmeg over pie.
- Bake at 425F for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 325°F and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Beat egg whites and honey together until stiff. Spread meringue over top of pie.
- Bake at 300°F for 20 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
What a nice little recipe! I skipped the meringue part and used whole eggs for the custard (added an extra tablespoon of flour). DH and DS were nuts for it--with their own caveats! DS says, "serve it cold, it tastes better." DH says, "serve it warm, it tastes better." So--YOU decide!!! I used probably 2 or 2 1/2 cups of rhubarb since it's in season right now, and we have LOTS! *ZWT 3 May 2007*