Old Fashioned Flour Gravy
- Ready In:
- 3 cups broth (see note)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- salt, to taste
- NOTE: Use beef, chicken, or turkey, and broth can be mixed with pan drippings.
- Heat broth.
- In a medium skillet melt butter with peanut oil, add flour, and slowly brown to a dark golden brown (you need to keep an eye on this as it may brown too quickly).
- Slowly add broth, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Add spices, cook slowly, stirring often, for 20 minutes.
- The cooking time is very important. Flour will have a bitter taste if not completely cooked. This is worth the time.
- If gravy is too thick, it can be thinned with broth to desired consistency.
Join The Conversation