Mexican Chili Skillet
This is an easy and inexpensive one-dish meal and a crowd-pleaser as well. My wife scavenged the recipe from an old cookbook (alas! gone now!) and we have this dish at least once a month. All our house guests have pretty much asked for the recipe.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb ground round
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 15 ounces dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives, drained (optional)
- 14 ounces tortilla chips
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Briefly sauté onion, green pepper and garlic. Push to one side of skillet after a couple of minutes.
- Break ground round into skillet. Sauté the beef until it is no longer pink, then stir in the chili powder and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add tomato juice, kidney beans, olives, oregano, salt and rice. Blend all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then stir in the corn. Cover and cook for five more minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over top, turn off the burner and cover, allowing the cheese to melt.
- Serve over taco chips. Possible toppings include guacamole, sour creme, shredded lettuce, Tabasco sauce, and/or salsa.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This really takes little time to prepare and has great flavors! I did do some amount adjustments, for sure increase the garlic if you are a garlic-lover, I also added in 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped and some dried chili flakes (we like extreme heat, thos are two ingredients I add in most of the time to recipes!) I also increased the chili powder, I am giving this to my DS as a take-home meal he is sure to love, this is delicious Bones! thanks so much for sharing...Kitten:)Reply