Jersey Fried Tomatoes
This is a recipe that my mom has made every summer since she was little. My brothers and I anxiously wait for the New Jersey tomato crops because that is the only tomato my mom will use! The key to this recipe is the bacon grease if you don't use it then it won't get the proper flavor.
- Ready In:
Make ahead of time
- 3 -4 lbs bacon (save the grease eat the bacon!)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons per 2-3 slices tomatoes
- 4 jersey tomatoes, sliced (when they aren't in season I use the ugly tomatoes)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- Mix egg, milk, salt, and pepper together.
- Dip tomato slices in egg mixture and cover in bread crumbs.
- In large skillet add enough bacon grease to cover pan.
- In a large skillet fry tomato slices on each side until golden brown. (Make sure that when you flip them and during cooking that enough bacon grease is in the pan.).
- Remove and place on paper towel.
- Repeat until all tomato slices are cooked. Make sure to add more bacon grease to the pan between batches!
- For a different taste my mom enjoys just dipping the tomato slices in flour and skipping the egg mixture and bread crumbs and frying the same way.