Japanese Noodle and Cucumber Salad
- Ready In:
- 6 ounces dry vermicelli or 6 ounces bean thread noodles
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium cucumber, chilled
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Cook the noodles in boiling water until barely tender.
- Rince immediately with cold water until cool, drain thoroughly and put in a medium bowl.
- Mix vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and salt and pour over the noodles.
- Stir well.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill noodles in refrigerator until cold.
- Peel and seed the cucumber.
- Cut into quarters lengthwise, then into thin sticks.
- Divide the noodles on four salad plates, sprinkle evenly with cucumber pieces, green onion and sesame seeds.
Join The Conversation
I liked how simple and easy this was. I used the bean thread noodles, and chilled them in the soy sauce mixture for about 1 hours, tossing occasionally. The noodles were ok and went great with the cool crunchy cucumbers, but I think overall it needed more flavor. I think I'd add some hoisin or even some peanut butter and add some crushed red pepper as well. Thanx for sharing!