- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 4 large thick pita breads
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- lettuce leaf (for garnish)
- 4 slices tomatoes (for garnish)
- Divide meat into four portions and form into half-moon-shapedpatties to fit on half a pita bread.
- Use a fork to mash the garlic with butter in small bowl; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, onion, salt and pepper; cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Keep warm.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for cooking.
- Spray grill rack withnon-stick cooking spray.
- Cook patties to desired doneness.
- (Can be done in a covered grill. For medium rare, cook about 4 minutes on one side; turn and cook 4 minutes more.) During the last few minutes of cooking, brush one side of each pita with the garlic butter and place, buttered side down, on the outer edges of the grill to toast lightly.
- Place a pita, toasted side up, on a serving plate.
- Place a patty on one half.
- Top patty with 1 tablespoon feta cheese.
- Place part of the mushroom mixture on the other half of pita.
- Repeat to make4 sandwiches.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Another burger going into my burger book to "make again". I used roasted garlic (Had it in the freezer)and used 4 cloves in my 6 oz burger. For the lettuce I used Arugula and got some localally made goat feta cheese - MMmm such a combo! Next time I make this recipe I will try something a nit different -I will cut off the top 1/3 of the pita, crumble the burger and fry it with the onions,mushrooms & garlic - Chop the tomatoes and stuff it all into the opened pita either way this is a winner Bekah