Delicious Bread Pudding
photo by CountryLady
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 loaf bread, torn into small pieces (I like breakfast or raisin bread)
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 - 1 cup raisins (I add raisins if not using raisin bread) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine bread, milk and cream. Chop with two knives to combine well. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir in eggs, sugar, melted butter, orange peel, vanilla, cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon), nutmeg and raisins (if using).
- Pour into prepared pan.
- To make topping: combine sugar (1/2 cup), water and cinnamon (1 teaspoon) in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over bread pudding mixture and dot with butter.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until tester comes out clean (I use a knife to test for doneness).
- Cool in pan on rack and cut into squares to serve.
- Delicious topped with whipped cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The name says it all - its delicious! The zest provided a very subtle flavour & odour. I served it warm with frozen yogurt. I have a problem with the ingredient quantities listed. I used 1/2 a fairly large bakery type raisin loaf (also added a handful of raisins) & scaled the rest of the ingredients in half - it filled an 8 x 11 baking dish that I'm certain would give 8 servings. It required 45 minutes in the oven. Thanx Ellie!