Creamy Vanilla Pudding
photo by Annacia
- Ready In:
- In a heavy saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, half and half cream, cinnamon and nutmeg (if using) bring to a boil whisking vigorously over medium heat.
- As soon as the mixture is very hot whisk in the egg yolk and cook whisking vigorously until thickened and bubbly (about 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in vanilla and butter until smooth and combined.
- Transfer to a heat-proof bowl, then place a piece of plastic wrap directly over the pudding.
- Cool for about 30 minutes on the counter then refrigerate until cold.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was the perfect addition to my chocolate banana pudding cake. I made it once to soak into the cake over night (poured over while hot). I made it again, cooled it, and poured it over the cake and bananas to top it. The flavor is excellent. Not too sweet, good balance of spices. Fantastic with chocolate cake and bananas.
I have eliminated all processed food from our diet, and have been searching out recipes for old favorites. I wanted vanilla pudding, to make parfaits. This pudding is so easy, and absolutely delicious. The cook time is no longer than for a boxed mix. The ingredients are available in most pantries. I will be keeping this recipe, and sharing with friends. Thank you for another great recipe Kittencal.
This is so good. I wasn't sure about adding the cinnamon and nutmeg as I thought it sounded odd to be in a vanilla pudding but I'm so glad I did. This reminded me of the custard pudding (made in the oven)that my mom used to make when I was a kid. Boxed pudding doesn't even compare to this. I'll be making this again.
Another great recipe from our favorite gal!! What a great pudding. Ease of preperation, and the final product was outstanding! I was craving pineapple cream pie, and had lost my pudding recipe, so used this, graham cracker crust with whipped cream on top..YUM!! I was hesitant to stir the egg in the hot mixture, but it worked out ok. Will definately make this again. Thanks so much for all the wonderful recipes you provide us with!
This recipe turned out really well. It was smooth, vanilla-y and cinnamon-y! I think we get so used to the packaged pudding mixes that we forget how delicious homemade pudding is. It really doesn't take much more effort to make it from scratch. Try this pudding slightly warm. It is comfort food at its best.