Blanca's Rich and Creamy Vanilla Pudding
photo by Velouria
- Ready In:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cornstarch and salt. Slowly whisk in the whole milk then the sweetened condensed milk until thoroughly combined.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly and scraping sides and bottom of saucepan.
- When mixture begins to thicken a bit, add about 1 cup of it to the egg yolks. Mix well and then add the egg mixture back to saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Strain the pudding through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl, scraping with a rubber spatula to pass the pudding through. (I know this is an extra step, but it removes any bits of cooked egg, so the pudding is smooth.).
- Stir the butter and vanilla into the pudding until the butter is melted.
- To prevent a skin from forming, press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding or you can dust it with a little bit of cinnamon and put some raisins on top like my mom does. Refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very nice. <br/><br/>If you mix all the ingredients thoroughly when cold (with the exception of the butter and vanilla) instead of tempering the egg yolks and then adding, and stir the mixture with a wisk constantly while cooking till thick, you can avoid the whole seive business. <br/><br/>Its smooth as silk if stirred properly.