Agnes’ Creamy Rice Pudding
photo by razzintaz
- Ready In:
- Combine rice, water, salt, and butter in a pan.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- At the same time, heat the milk to scalding.
- Stir hot milk into rice, add raisins if using, cover, and simmer 15 more minutes.
- Beat eggs and sugar together.
- Add some of the hot mixture to them, stirring constantly.
- Return egg mixture to rice mixture and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- It should start to bubble.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Add the vanilla.
Excellent recipe! Rice pudding is one of my favorite comfort foods. I tried this with leftover rice. I started with 3 cups cold, cooked rice which I heated in the microwave for 2 minutes. Then added that to the scalded milk along with 2 T. butter and continued following your recipe. It was easy and very delicious!
Great recipe, I had a bit of water left after cooking the rice for 15 min. but added the milk anyway, figuring the eggs would thicken it up and they did. I took a shorcut and didn't preheat the milk, just dumped most of it into the pot, put the heat to high until it started to boil, stirring all the time, then dropped the heat, whisked the eggs into the rest of the milk and whisked into the rice; left out the raisins but added cinnamon. One of the best rice pudding recipes I've made in ages.
Very creamy - I love it! And quite easy! I started with about 2 1/2 cups cooked long grain rice and 1/2c cooked jasmine rice (both leftover in the fridge), nuked it for a few minutes and followed the recipe from there with the scalded milk. I also subbed 1/2c light cream for the last of the milk since I didn't have quite enough. I was afraid the jasmine rice would be too strong/fragrant, but it turned out fine. At the end I added a little cinnamon to suit my taste as well. What a great, easy recipe - thanks for sharing! I will be making this again for sure.