Creamy North Indian Fish Curry
- Ready In:
- 1 large tilapia fillet, filet cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 a small onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 inch ginger
- 2 hot green chili peppers, whole
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- water, as necessary
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
- 2 -3 tablespoons coconut cream
- coriander leaves (to garnish)
- Heat oil in a nonstick saucepan. Add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds start to splatter, add onion and whole green chilies. Cook on a low flame until onions are golden brown.
- Blend ginger and garlic with tomato paste and around 1/2 cup water until smooth.
- Add to the pan with the spices and salt and cook on medium-high until oil starts to appear on the surface. Lower heat as necessary as the mixture reduces. Taste mixture and add seasoning as necessary.
- Add some water, vinegar and coconut cream, and boil until creamy (3-4 minutes). Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Add fish. Cook for 5-6 minutes, turning as necessary.
- Serve hot with rice or naan.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!