Rajma (North Indian Kidney Bean Masala)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe is for a slow cooker. Rajma is a popular North Indian vegetarian dish which is served over rice or with flatbread. Ideally this masala should be fairly thick when ready to serve.
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 15mins
- 2 cups dried kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 red onions (1 minced, 1 thinly sliced)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 3 serrano chilies, stemmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 dried arbol chiles
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice, crushed by hand
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- hot cooked basmati rice, for serving
- Drain beans and rinse thoroughly.
- Combine beans, half the garlic, half the minced onion, and salt in a 4-6 qt slow cooker with 3 1/2 cups water.
- Puree remaining garlic, ginger, Serrano chiles, turmeric, and paprika with 2 tablespoons water in food processor; set paste aside.
- Heat oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chile de arbol, coriander, cumin, and cinnamon; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add remaining minced onion; cook until browned, about 1 minute.
- Add paste; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook until liquid has mostly evaporated, about 12 minutes.
- Add tomato mixture, cilantro, garam masala, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to beans in slow cooker. Mix well and check level of the water. Add more water, if necessary, so that there is at least 1 inch above level of the bean mixture. Cook on low for 7-8 hours and on high for 4-5 hours.
- Serve over rice and garnish with sliced red onion.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION