Creamed Chicken With Mushrooms and Peas on Toast
photo by Annacia
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 7 -9 medium fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- 2 cups canned chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese (more for top if desired)
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, cubed (or use cooked turkey)
- 2⁄3 cup frozen peas (or use corn)
- salt (to taste, Iuse seasoned salt)
- black pepper (lots of black pepper)
- 4 -6 slices Texas toast thick bread, toasted
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter.
- Cook the butter stirring with a wooden spoon until golden brown.
- Add in sliced mushroom; cook until all the moisture is released.
- Add in onions and garlic; cook stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Add in flour and cayenne pepper and cook stirring with a wooden spoon for 1 minute, then slowly add in broth and stir with wooden spoon until thickened.
- Add in whipping cream, Parmesan cheese, chicken bouillon, cubed chicken and peas.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook stirring until heated through and thickened.
- Add in cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes over low heat stirring often.
- Season with seasoned salt or white salt and black pepper.
- If you would like a thicker sauce just mix 1-2 tablespoons flour in 1/4 cup milk until smooth and add to the simmering sauce.
- Divide the mixture onto the toast, then sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have to say that the photo that goes with this recipe does not look anything like what the actual dish does- the photo does not do it justice and I almost did not even try this recipe because of how nasty the photo looked! It is absolutely delicious though and it's so thick and creamy that you can put it in a bread bowl and have a meal of it's own! Thanks again Kittencal for yet another wonderful recipe!
see 1 more reviews