Chocolate Chiffon Pie
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is light and creamy. Really good. Cooking times do not include chilling times.
- Ready In:
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 pinch salt
- whipped cream (to garnish)
- chocolate curls (to garnish)
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- For the crust, mix the graham cracker crumbs and butter in a bowl. Press the crumbs evenly over the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool.
- Chop the chocolate, then grind in food processor or blender. Set aside.
- Place the milk in top of a double boiler or heatproof bowl. Sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand 5 minutes to soften.
- Set the top of the double broiler or heatproof bowl over hot water. Add 1/3 cup of sugar, the chocolate and egg yolks. Stir until dissolved. Add the vanilla extract.
- Set the top of the double boiler in a bowl of ice and stir until mixture reaches room temperature Remove from the ice and set aside.
- Whip the cream lightly. Set aside. With electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Add the remaining sugar and beat only enough to blend.
- Fold a dollop of egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then pour back into the whites and fold in gently.
- Fold in the whipped cream and pour into the pastry crust. Put in freezer until just set, about 5 minutes. If the center sinks, fill with any remaining mixture. Chill for 3-4 hours. Decorate with whipped cream and chocolate curls. Serve cold.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION