Mmmm, Tasty Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
- Ready In:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- In small, oven-proof bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water.
- Place bowl over small pot of simmering water until gelatin is dissolved.
- In medium saucepan, cook brown sugar, egg yolks, pumpkin puree, milk, salt and spices for 7-10 minutes, stirring constantly with whisk until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat and add gelatin, mixing thoroughly.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Beat egg whites with sugar until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture.
- Put mixture into pie shell and refrigerate overnight.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
According to one reviewer, she ended up baking this pie, ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE BAKED. The egg yolk in the filling is already cooked, and the whites dont need to be cooked after whipping them like so. This is a good recipe, I have tried this same way with hand made whipped cream folded in, instead of egg whites and one whole packet of knox gelatin added to the pumpkin mix. Thank you for sharing.
I was wondering how come no one rated this and I finally realized when I couldn't find instructions for baking. Well, I guess I really had in mind a pumpkin pie that you could actually slice (sort of) so I baked this anyway and it turned out wonderfully. It has just the right amount of spice and tasted creamy and good. I had to come back and edit my comments because on the second day this only got better; the flavor is amazing. I love this pie!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Current (9/07) review criteria: 5: WOW! This is something with which to impress the guest! 4: We really liked this and will make it again. Instructions were easy to follow. 3: Good basic recipe but needs something to make it a 4 for us and/or there is a problem with instructions. 2: We didn't like the flavor/taste/texture and/or there is a major problem with the instructions. 1: Inedible for us.