Calf Liver and Onions With Bacon
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- Cook bacon in large skillet. Set cooked bacon aside, leaving as much grease as possible in skillet.
- Tear bacon in bite sized pieces.
- Cook sliced onions in grease, with a little salt and pepper, for about 15 minutes, or until limp.
- Remove onions, set aside, leaving as much grease as possible in skillet.
- Lightly salt and pepper liver slices (I cut long slices in half) and dredge heavily in flour.
- Place liver in hot grease, cooking until brown on both sides, over medium heat.
- When liver is browned, add onions, bacon pieces, and 2-3 splashes red wine vinegar.
- Salt and pepper to taste (remember, you have already used some, so go easy until you can taste it).
- Add enough water to make a gravy, barely covering the meat. Stir water to combine with other ingredients evenly.
- Cover, cook on low for 15-20 minutes. It should look like you have gravy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a retired English professor and librarian. For forty years I ate on the run, working and rearing a very large family. Now I have time, and I am rediscovering cooking (and eating!). My husband and daughters like to cook as well, so we have to schedule kitchen time. I believe that exchanging recipes is a hope-filled, loving act. I can while away hours on recipezaar, reveling in its variety. I am struck again and again by the ingenuity of cooks, and by the bounty of our land, particularly in light of the stories told by my father of being so hungry in the Great Depression. Daddy, these recipes are for you. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">