Bubble and Squeak Slice
photo by Hanka
- Ready In:
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄3 cup corn kernel
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh herb, chopped (parsley, mint, chives, basil)
- 1⁄2 cup self-raising flour
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaf, torn, optional for serving
- Heat a non-stick frypan, add zucchini, carrot, peas, corn, garlic and water and cook until just softened. Cool slightly.
- Combine the cooked vegetables with spring onions, cheddar, feta, eggs, milk, herbs and flour.
- Spoon the mixture into a lined 28cm x 18cm slab pan. Stud the cherry tomatoes onto mixture decoratively and bake at 180°C for 35 minutes or until golden and cooked.
- Rest for 10-15 minutes before sprinkling with basil, slicing into small squares and serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a great recipe! I saute the veggies in olive oil. Also added some left over ham and roasted pumpkin. Sprinkle some cheese and feta over the top as well. Served for dinner with salad. Next day had it for lunch with grilled chicken. What a great way how to clean your vegetable drawer in the fridge! Love it! Thank you Tisme it's a keeper for us!
Tisme, this is fantastic :) I actually did use the veggies from the recipe, the only changes I made were not to worry about reduced fat, sorry about that, ;), so I expect the calorie count went up a bit!!! I did use a favourite soft crumbly feta, and I used cream rather than milk. This recipe produces a really good crustless quiche/savoury tart/slice, whatever you call it in your part of the world, very good texture and density, light but holds together well, buckets of flavour. We had it hot with little roast potatoes and mashed pumpkin, DH then enjoyed it cold with salad for his lunch, this is a keeper and a new favourite, since we all like crustless quiche, its always a popular supper choice. Thank you Tisme, excellent, made for Oz/NZ Reunion Please Make My Recipe Tag Game, November 2011