Bubble and Squeak
Don't throw that last bit of mashed potato away - try Bubble and Squeak instead. The name comes from the noise it makes in the pan when frying. From The Popular Potato this dish is a favorite British breakfast treat.
- Ready In:
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 medium potato, cooked and mashed
- 1⁄4 head cabbage, shredded and lightly steamed
- Cook bacon slices in a large skillet and remove when crispy. Crumble and set aside.
- Add onions to pan and gently fry until tender. Add potato and cabbage. Press together to form a large cake. Cook until first side is brown then turn with a spatula and brown the other side.
- Slide out from pan and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- Serve with toast and/or eggs.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I have heard of this dish, but have never tried it before. This was very good with loads of flavor. I mixed the steamed cabbage, and sauteed onions with the mashed potatoes and then put the mixture into the frying pan. I also doubled the bacon and added some salt, pepper and garlic powder. Great addition to breakfast and very filling. Made for August, 2009 Aussie/NZ Swap.
I chose this recipe for Spring Pac 2007 and really enjoyed it! I was a little hesitant considering the name. It kind of reminded me of a doggie toy..but besides that. I thought the flavor was good and even sort of reminded me of Corn beef and cabbage. I did add salt and pepper to taste..but other than that followed the recipe exactly as written.