Zuppa Di Vongole (Clam Soup)
- Into a saucepan put 4 dozen *vongole* or small clams (cockles or mussels can be used as well).
- Pour over them three-quarters of a bottle of white wine and let them cook until they have opened.
- Drain them, setting aside the liquid in which they have cooked, and remove the empty half-shells. -- Chop the white part of a leek with a small onion, add a clove of garlic, and saute this mixture in a saucepan with good oil, add the liquid from the clams, and a quart of fish stock; add a peeled and chopped tomato, a bouquet of marjoram, and a few green leaves of celery.
- Let this bubble fast for ten minutes, remove the bouquet and the garlic, stir the clams into the soup, and pour it into the tureen.
- Serve separately small croutons of bread fried in oil.