Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Excellent pasta sauce, great flavor and OOoops there goes another zucchini!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausages, casing removed (I like the hot sausage)
- 2 medium green peppers, minced
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium zucchini, unpeeled shredded
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1⁄2 cup jalapeno pepper, deveined, seeds removed & finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- cooked pasta, to serve 8 persons
- Cook the sausage breaking it up so there are no lumps, cook with the onions & garlic. When the meat is lightly browned drain the pan.
- Add the green peppers, saute 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, tomatoes, jalapeno, basil, chili, salt, lemon juice & tabasco, simmer 15 minutes. Meanwhile cook your pasta (for an easy method see recipe #30358).
- Serve over pasta.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Wow Bergy, this is worth way more than 5-stars. I, like you, used the hot Italian sausage. Combine that with the fresh zucchini, tomatoes and other seasonings made for one flavor-filled spaghetti sauce. I see no need to add to or alter anything. Family gave it enthusiastic thumbs up. Thanks :D
My family really enjoyed this sauce! Not a marinare sauce, but a wonderful combination of fresh veggies and Italian sausage all cooked together. Really different, quite delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
excellent recipe! My boys loved the sausage and I got to use up one more zucchini!