Recipe by ellie_
This soup/gumbo is good.Instead of the usual okra this uses zucchini. The original recipe called for file powder which I couldn't find - so skipped. Adapted from Fresh from the Vegetarian Cookbook. Without the rice this is only 2 WW points.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups tomato juice or 2 cups v- 8 vegetable juice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 2 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced into 1/4 inch half moons
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco sauce)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 cups rice, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat heat the oil. Add the next 4 ingredients (onion - garlic), cover and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Transfer vegetables to crockpot.
- Add next 7 ingredients (vegetable broth - pepper). Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Stir in Tabasco and liquid smoke.
- Divide rice into soup bowls and top with gumbo.