Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This soup is so good and healthy for you too. It has lots of veggies and lots of flavor. If it's too spicy for you, serve with a dollop of sour cream. From Taste of Home magazine.
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup white corn (frozen, fresh, or canned)
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips (optional)
- Put chicken in a Dutch oven or big soup pot and add water; bring water to a boil.
- Cover and bring chicken to a simmer for 10-15 minutes until chicken juices are clear.
- Take chicken out of water and cube into 1/2 inch pieces; place chicken back into water, but do not have heat on.
- In another skillet, cook the onion, celery and garlic in oil over medium heat until tender; add to the chicken and water.
- Add the next 11 ingredients to chicken and sauted vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover, simmering for about 20-30 minutes or until zucchini and carrots are tender.
- Serve with cheese on top, tortilla chips and sour cream, if desired. Soup can freeze up to 3 months.
This a a great soup with lots of wonderful veggies. The heat was just right - not too spicy, but plenty zesty. It was enjoyed by all at our house. Thanks for sharing it.