Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Best rice pudding that I have ever tasted. Good sprinkled with nutmeg or cinnamon.
- 177.44 ml uncooked white rice (for creamier pudding use short or medium grain rice)
- 473.18 ml milk, divided
- 78.07 ml white sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 158.51 ml raisins
- 14.79 ml butter
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil.
- Add rice and stir.
- Reduce heat,cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In another saucepan, combine the cooked rice, with 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg and raisins.
- Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Serve warm.
WOW.. this was great! When I initially boil the rice, I throw in a cinnamon stick and cook it with the rice. I prefer my pudding a little more creamier and sweeter, so I used 3/4 cup of sugar and 2 cups of milk initially and 1 more cup of milk when i added the egg. I also let the pudding cook for an additional 18 min over med heat (stiring occasionaly so the milk doesn't burn) to create more of a custard in the pudding. When i remove it from the heat, I remove the cinnamon sticks and sprinke ground cinnamon on the top. I keep a bowl of this in my fridge at all times and take it for my breakfast at work. Thank you!!
This was rich, creamy, and delicious. The directions and measurements are very accurate. I used short grain rice and it came out very creamy. I love rice pudding - my grandmother makes a version that is completely different which I adore, but this recipe was every bit as tasty and also deserving of 5 stars.
My family & I loved this pudding! I doubled the recipe & it was eaten in a day, which is outstanding considering my partner or daughter are not big fans of rice puds! I sprinkled 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in with the rice to start with, omitted the raisins & butter, but it turned out excellent and I have been asked to make it again tonight! My mum has a favourite recipe which she bakes in the oven, but this was faster, and dare I say, much creamier & tastier! Thanks for sharing, yum yum yum!! =)