1/1 Photo of Yellow Split Pea Soup
3 hrs 25 mins
This is a wonderful recipe for yellow pea soup. You can use about 1/2 pound salt pork, rinsed if covered with salt in place of the smoked ham bone. Just a tip, don't throw away the bone from your cooked ham, wrap tightly in foil and freeze, it is wonderful to use in pea soups, make certain to leave some meat on the bone to shred into the soup. If you have any dried savory, then add in about 1/2 teaspoon to the soup along with the chives. I sometimes add in a couple of potatoes that are cut into small cubes into the soup the last hour of cooking, but that is optional. This soup will take around 2-3 hours to cook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb yellow split peas (picked over)
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 quart cold water
- 1 large smoked ham bone (make certain that the bone has meat on it)
- 5 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium leek, chopped and rinsed (use only white and pale green parts only)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- salt and black pepper
- whipping cream (optional)
- 1Rinse the peas under cold water very well. Pick out any discoloured peas and discard.
- 2Fill a large pot with water and chicken broth.
- 3Add in the ham bone or salt pork and half of the onions; bring to a boil (skim off any froth or scume that gathers on top) simmer partially covered until the peas are tender but not falling apart (about 1 - 1-1/2 hours).
- 4Cook the leeks and the remaining onions in butter in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until softened (about 10 minutes).
- 5Add to the soup with the chives, salt and pepper; continue to simmer (partially covered) until the peas are falling apart and the soup is thickened (about 1 - 1-1/2 hours).
- 6Remove the ham bone, then shred any meat on the bone and return the meat to the pot.
- 7Ladle hot soup into bowls and drizzle a small amount of whipping cream on top of the soup if desired.
Browse Our Top Winter Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yellow Split Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.5
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 571.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.1 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 23.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: