Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This soup is great as a meal, but can also be used as a sauce or in recipes in place of the canned version. Really lightens things up and worth the extra effort. Thanks for requesting it, Happy Harry #2! For an Under 400 calorie meal, pair this with the 1 Cheese and herb corn muffin #22536 by Tish,and a serving of prepackaged salad. Before dressing this is about 350 calories.
- 1 lb mushroom, coursely chopped
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 3 tablespoons wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- salt and pepper
- Combine 3 cups of mushrooms with 1 1/2 cups of broth and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer covered about 20 minutes, then puree it in a food processor or blender.
- While simmering, heat the oil in a large skillet and sautee onions, carrot and celery for about 5 minutes. Add the remaining mushrooms, cook stirring 10 minutes.
- Add the puree and the remaining broth to the saucepan.
- Whisk the flour and milk together until smooth and then whisk into the saucepan. Bring to a simmer (do not boil) while stirring occasionally anout 15 minutes.
- Add the herbs and simmer another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.