This was one of the most popular dishes at Nancy Mehagian's vegetarian restaurant on the island of Ibiza and she shared it in her book "Siren’s Feast: An Edible Odyssey". There are two secret (and essential) ingredients in this recipe - fine bulgur (which has the added benefit of cooking quickly) and tamari soy sauce. This really is the best tabbouleh you will ever make! Dish should be chilled before serving.
- 2 cups fine bulgur (#1 grind)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced finely
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 bunch parsley, stems removed, chopped finely
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves, chopped finely
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped or 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- Place bulgur in a large mixing bowl. Cover with boiling water and let stand 5 to 10 minutes, then fluff grains with a wooden spoon.
- Add onions, parsley, mint, and tomatoes and mix well.
- Finally, add the rest of the ingredients one at a time. Mix thoroughly. Chill in the refrigerator and toss once again before serving.