Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
If you are searching for the perfect pound cake, then look no more, this is it!..it's one of THE best recipes for pound cake! This one has a sugar/nut topping sprinkled on top of the cake before baking. Just follow the steps carefully, mix baking powder with warm milk and the baking soda in the lemon juice, I have even used half whipping cream and half and half cream...and you will have a wonderful moist buttery pound cake that you will be making over and over again...I promise! Please, use butter only, and make sure that eggs are at room temperature, yes the flour is mixed in to the creamed mixture before the eggs, there is no mistake on the directions LOL! If you do not want to use the half and half cream, whole full-fat milk may be used in place, but the half and half cream produces a better cake. If you prefer a sweeter cake, then add in another 3-4 tablespoons sugar. I most always serve this with my caramel sauce recipe (#78088) drizzled over the cake.
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes!)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup half-and-half cream, warmed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds (or other nuts)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a large springform pan (do not use a Bundt or tube pan!).
- In a bowl cream the butter with 2 cups of sugar for about 6 minutes (until no sugar granules remain in the creamed mixture).
- Add in the flour and beat until combined (mixture will be thick and coarse).
- Add in eggs (one at a time) mixing well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, whisk the warmed milk with the baking powder, then add into the creamed mixture; mix until combine.
- In another small bowl, dissolve/whisk the lemon juice with the baking soda: mix well until combined.
- Add the lemon juice/baking soda mix to the batter; mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into prepare greased springform pan.
- Combine the 1/3 cup sugar with the chopped nuts.
- Sprinkle on top of cake.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until golden brown, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (I found that 45 minutes in a 325 degree air-convection oven exactly was the perfect baking time for the cake ).
- Cool the cake completely in the pan before removing.
Very good cake, not as moist as I'd like but still fantastic, I think I'll either add more butter or oil to the recipe next time I make it.
This cake in in a league of it's own! I have never baked such a fantastic pound cake that rose so high, and tasted so buttery rich. I drizzled your Really Easy and Good Caramel Sauce (Kittencal's Brown Sugar Caramel Sauce or Ice Cream Topping) over the cake on the plates when serving, everyone loved it! thank you.
I'm always game for a new pound cake recipe; this one is great ~ the preparation was a little unusual but probably makes for consistent results (ie: it rose up nicely!). I am very glad that I used a springform as directed, it would definitely have spilled over the edge of my tube pan. Thank you for another sure thing;)