Moist Chocolate Pound Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 34mins
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl for five minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Dissolve coffee granules in hot water, combine with buttermilk, set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder; add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture, beating just until blended. Pour batter into a greased and floured Bundt or tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the cake tests done. Remove from oven and cool 20 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Cool completely before frosting, or sprinkling with confectioners' sugar.
- NOTE: to make a buttermilk substitute, add 1 tablespoon vinegar to a measuring cup, add milk until it reached the 1 cup mark. Let stand for 5 minutes, and use as buttermilk!
Beautiful cake that was super delicious. The directions were perfect and the cake turned out amazing. The only reason I give it a 4 star instead of a 5 star review is that I find the amount of sugar in the recipe to be a bit excessive (3 cups!). I did half the amount when I made the cake, but also feel perfectly comfortable to only use a third next time I make it :)
This cake is incredible and by far the best cake I've ever made!! It was so moist and the buttery flavor combined with the chocolate makes it delectable. This was my first try at a chocolate cake and this will remain my go-to. I did omit the coffee because I didn't have it, but will definitely add it the next time.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
As my name suggests, I am a part-time hobbit, escaping to my quiet life in the Shire whenever I can. In reality, I am a busy student who uses cooking as therapy. I am severely gluten intolerant and mildly dairy intolerant, so most of the recipes I post/comment on will be compatible with my dietary restrictions. Still, I love to eat, and have learned that you don't have to sacrifice flavor and personality when you go gluten and dairy free. I tend to like recipes that are either real homey comfort food, or transport me to the places I've travelled to, or would like to someday visit. I believe in eating organic, ethically raised meat and vegetables. I like to stay as close to nature as possible, eating mostly whole foods.