Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
a tasty soup anytime of the year.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups milk
- chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) packagecold pack wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- In a medium saucepan melt butter.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery, cook until tender.
- Stir in flour, cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until bubbly.
- Stir in baking soda.
- Gradually stir in milk, and broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring until mixture thickens slightly, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add cheese, and red pepper, stirring until melted and well blended.
- Garnish with parsley.
This was very delicious! I tried not to change anything, but of course I had to throw my own little flavor in. First I added a couple of cloves of garlic- minced. I also added 1 more TBS of butter. Kept the flour and baking powder the same but added 1 more cup of milk and another can of chicken broth. When I was making this it didnt look like it was going to feed my entire family. I also used a bag of sharp cheddar and about 1/2 a bag of jack and colby cheese. I also added smoked sausage to it. Very good thanks for the recipe! I will definately be making this again. It was the best cheese soup I have ever tasted!
I just made this wonderful soup for my family. We all really enjoyed it! I made the recipe pretty much as directed. The only thing I did differently was after I added the milk and broth and it had simmered I blended it in the blender for a really nice and smooth texture. The I added the cheese and red pepper flakes. It also used dry parsley to garnish because I didn't have any fresh and it was just fine this way. I enjoyed this soup so much that I am going to add it to my annual "soup day". Where I make three or four huge batches of soup that I freeze and and use all winter.
This is really good! Made as written but used dried parsley and crumbled some bacon on top. Went well with our bacon and lettuce sandwiches. Next time I may add sone ham and potatoes to have a complete meal. Made for PRMR.