Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is from Canadian Living magazine. Instead of wild rice you can use barley or wheat berries!
- 473.18 ml wild rice
- 118.29 ml diced dried apricot
- 118.29 ml diced dried apple
- 78.07 ml raisins or 78.07 ml currants
- 59.14 ml golden raisin
Mustard Honey Dressing
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- 29.58 ml orange juice
- 29.58 ml white wine vinegar
- 19.71 ml Dijon mustard
- 4.92 ml liquid honey
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 59.14 ml chopped of fresh mint
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cover and cook wild rice until tender, about 35 minutes. Drain well and transfer to large bowl. Add apricots, apple, raisins and golden raisins. Set aside.
- Mustard Honey Dressing: In small bowl, whisk together oil, orange juice, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Pour over rice mixture and toss gently. Let cool; cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) To serve, add mint and toss to combine.
I enjoyed this salad for lunch today. I used fresh apple as I had no dried, and used some cranberries too. For the dressing I used maple syrup in place of honey. The mint was a nice touch. I also quartered the recipe. Thanks Charmie! Made for ZWT4.
I think my family does not understand the concept of rice salads. *grins* I got a bunch of, "It would taste much better warm," and "It's too cold". I would love to be able to say that I understand the concept and loved it, but I really don't like wild rice. I think this would have been better (for us) if there had been something else in it. 2 cups of wild rice cooks up to 7 cups, so this is not a fruit salad with some wild rice in it. This is a big bowl of wild rice with a little bit of fruit in it. It was a good experiment for our family, though. Thank you for trying, made for ZWT4.
Wild rice with all my favorite fruits and a Canadian Living recipe - how could I not choose to make this salad! It was all that I thought it would be. Made as posted and enjoyed every bite. Love that it is a make ahead - perfect for those times when expecting weekend company. Going to be great for those summer back yard cookouts.