Wild Rice Salad With Figs - Rutherford Grill, Napa Valley
photo by Debbwl
- Ready In:
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup wild rice (about 6 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped dried calimyrna fig
- 1⁄3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1⁄3 cup chopped toasted unsalted cashews
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine 4 cups water and salt in medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add rice. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Drain well. Cool.
- Transfer rice to large bowl. Mix in figs, pecans, cashews, green onions, celery and red onion. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Mix vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, mustard and sugar in blender. With blender running, gradually mix in both oils.
- Pour dressing over rice mixture and toss. Season salad with salt and pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Absolutely fabulous. Had to try this the minute I saw it as figs and wild rice are two of my favorites and we ate at the Rutherford on our honeymoon many, many years ago. This salad has so many wonder flavors and textures it hard to know were to start. Mad as written except had to use black mission figs as the store did not carry dried calimyrna figs. We enjoy our black rice a little chew so only cooked it for 36 minutes (perfect) instead of 45 minutes. Will absolutely be making again. Thanks so much for the post.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love cooking for family and friends. I especially enjoy baking...it is like combining art and science to create something extraordinary. I am most known for making desserts like Recipe #336060. My pet peeve: when people sign-up to bring dessert to a pot-luck or dinner party and they bring something pre-made from the store. My friends and family now know to always let me bring the dessert. :) I enjoy traveling and believe that one of the best ways to experience a culture is through food. I have lived in Germany, Spain and Switzerland, and currently live in the US. My rating system: 5 stars - Excellent! Delicious! Could not be better...will make often. 4 stars - Very good! May tweak slightly. 3 stars - Good base recipe. Will need to tweak. 2 stars - Ok. Will keep looking. Cooking Contests & Games: <img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/590105/hcabc.jpg> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/snow-queens-sm.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/ST_AMBADGE.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">