Delicious wild rice salad with figs, pecans and cashews. Bon Appetit, March 1996.
Make and share this Wild Rice Salad With Figs - Rutherford Grill, Napa Valley recipe from Food.com.
- 946.36 ml water
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml wild rice (about 6 oz.)
- 118.29 ml finely chopped dried calimyrna fig
- 78.07 ml chopped toasted pecans
- 78.07 ml chopped toasted unsalted cashews
- 59.14 ml finely chopped green onion
- 29.58 ml finely chopped celery
- 29.58 ml finely chopped red onions
- 29.58 ml raspberry vinegar or 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine 4 cups water and salt in medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add rice. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Drain well. Cool.
- Transfer rice to large bowl. Mix in figs, pecans, cashews, green onions, celery and red onion. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Mix vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, mustard and sugar in blender. With blender running, gradually mix in both oils.
- Pour dressing over rice mixture and toss. Season salad with salt and pepper.
Living in Sonoma County, we frequent the Rutherford Grill and always order this salad with our meal. It's absolutely fabulous. I use champagne vinegar instead of balsamic as I learned this secret from our server.
Absolutely fabulous. Had to try this the minute I saw it as figs and wild rice are two of my favorites and we ate at the Rutherford on our honeymoon many, many years ago. This salad has so many wonder flavors and textures it hard to know were to start. Mad as written except had to use black mission figs as the store did not carry dried calimyrna figs. We enjoy our black rice a little chew so only cooked it for 36 minutes (perfect) instead of 45 minutes. Will absolutely be making again. Thanks so much for the post.
This is lovely. I'll be taking it to a potluck next week. I really enjoyed the blend of flavours and I'm a huge fan of figs. Yumm!