Recipe by swissms
Delicious wild rice salad with figs, pecans and cashews. Bon Appetit, March 1996.
Top Review by email@example.com
Living in Sonoma County, we frequent the Rutherford Grill and always order this salad with our meal. It's absolutely fabulous. I use champagne vinegar instead of balsamic as I learned this secret from our server.
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup wild rice (about 6 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped dried calimyrna fig
- 1⁄3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1⁄3 cup chopped toasted unsalted cashews
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 4 cups water and salt in medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add rice. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Drain well. Cool.
- Transfer rice to large bowl. Mix in figs, pecans, cashews, green onions, celery and red onion. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Mix vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, mustard and sugar in blender. With blender running, gradually mix in both oils.
- Pour dressing over rice mixture and toss. Season salad with salt and pepper.