Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
It's a great combo with the crunch of the wild rice and pecans and the tartness of the cranberries.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 cups wild rice, well rinsed
- 5 cups homemade turkey broth or 5 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- Put water and sugar in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat to simmer, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.
- Add cranberries and cook just until all the cranberries are popped, about 3 minutes.
- Do not overcook; you want the cranberries to stay relatively whole.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cranberries to a medium-size bowl, leaving the cranberry syrup in the saucepan.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add wild rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add stock, salt, thyme and pepper.
- Heat to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender but pleasantly chewy, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Drain the wild rice of excess cooking liquid, if necessary.
- Add the wild rice mixture and the toasted pecans to the cranberries.
- Toss to mix well.
- Use as a turkey stuffing or bake separately.
- To bake separately, heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place in a buttered 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Bake, covered, until heated through, 30 to 40 minutes.
Fabulous healthy recipe for our christmas meal. Thanks!