Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was my sister's favorite thing to eat when she was growing up. She wouldn't let anyone but me make it for her.
- Cook and drain beef. (I rinse the beef under hot water to remove all of the grease -- it is rich enough!).
- Melt butter in a pan and when melted and lightly sizzling add the flour.
- Whisk until combined and gently simmer the butter/flour mixture for about two minutes to remove the flour/starch taste but don't let it brown any.
- Add the 1.5 cups of milk and quickly whisk until smooth. SImmer until thick over medium heat stirring constantly. It will be quite thick.
- Add the half and half cream and quickly whisk until smooth.
- Cook over low heat until thickened.
- Add the beef and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve over good biscuits well buttered.
- This is a very creamy and rich gravy. You may use 2 cups whole milk if you need to omit the cream.
- If it is too thick for your taste -- then dilute with more milk -- but it usually is perfect the way it is written.
- Leftovers are excellent.
We are trying to eat healthier and have less meat, so I made this with half smoked tofu (in stuff I swear it's good) and low fat turkey. I also used just a splash of cream and 1% milk. The
I love this gravy. The ultimate breakfast comfort food. I used ground turkey since that is all I had. I used a cream. I couldn't use pepper due to allergies in the family, so I used some garlic powder and it was delicious! I added a wonderful savory flavor to the gravy.
This is a very good gravy and biscuit recipe. I used sausage and also a little bit of cream (had to use it up) and it was rich rich rich. We loved it though. I will make again, as we couldn't get enough of it. Great flavor and it cooked up so nicely. Thank you for sharing this with us.