This was my sister's favorite thing to eat when she was growing up. She wouldn't let anyone but me make it for her.
- Cook and drain beef. (I rinse the beef under hot water to remove all of the grease -- it is rich enough!).
- Melt butter in a pan and when melted and lightly sizzling add the flour.
- Whisk until combined and gently simmer the butter/flour mixture for about two minutes to remove the flour/starch taste but don't let it brown any.
- Add the 1.5 cups of milk and quickly whisk until smooth. SImmer until thick over medium heat stirring constantly. It will be quite thick.
- Add the half and half cream and quickly whisk until smooth.
- Cook over low heat until thickened.
- Add the beef and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve over good biscuits well buttered.
- This is a very creamy and rich gravy. You may use 2 cups whole milk if you need to omit the cream.
- If it is too thick for your taste -- then dilute with more milk -- but it usually is perfect the way it is written.
- Leftovers are excellent.