I love White Castle. I admit it, but I'd have to drive two hours to get to the nearest White Castle, so, I found this recipe in the Top Secret Recipes book. It is very well worth the effort if you love White Castles. Nothing compares to this taste.
- Separate the beef into 16 1 oz portions.
- On wax paper, form the portions into square, very thin 2.5" patties.
- Poke 5 holes in each patties with a circular object such as a straw.
- Freeze the patties until firm.
- Toast the faces of the dinner rolls, either in a hot frying pan or under the broiler In a hot frying pan or skillet, preheated to medium heat, arrange tablespoon sized piles of onions 3 inches apart.
- Salt and Pepper each pile.
- Spread the onions flat and place a frozen patty on each pile.
- Salt each patty.
- Cook each patty for 4-6 minutes, steam from the onions should cook each burger without having to flip it.
- Turn the bottom half of the bun onto the patty.
- Hold it down as you scoop a spatula under the onions, turn the sandwich over onto a plate Cut the American cheese into 2" portions and place on the onions and patty.
- Replace the top of the roll.
- Serve hot.