Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A good soup from Chandler's Restaurant in Seattle. Plan ahead because this takes about 3 hours to simmer. The hardest part is cleaning the crab! Make extra stock to freeze.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs dungeness crabs
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 lemon
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons whiskey
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
Crab Stock (use 1 quart)
- 1 dungeness crab, shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup brandy or 1⁄4 cup cognac
- 2 quarts cold water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Clean the crab and remove the meat from the shell.
- Reserve the meat. Use the shell to make the crab stock.
- Crab stock:.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy stockpot.
- Add the crab shells, carrot, onion and celery; brown lightly.
- Add brandy and ignite. When flames have expired, add the water, garlic, bay leaf, tarragon and tomato paste.
- Bring stock to a low simmer for 2 to 3 hours and reduce to 1 quart.
- Strain through a fine sieve and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make a roux in a heavy saucepan by melting 4 ounces (1 stick) butter over medium heat. When foam subsides, add the flour all at once. Stir constantly, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring until it is blond-colored (about 5 minutes).
- Add crab stock, cup by cup, whisking thoroughly after each addition. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes, skim frequently.
- Add heavy cream, juice from the lemon, tabasco, worcestershire, old bay and white pepper. Bring back to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the whiskey, sherry, 2 tablespoons butter and the reserved crab meat; cook 1 minute to heat through. Salt to taste.