4 hrs 30 mins
A good soup from Chandler's Restaurant in Seattle. Plan ahead because this takes about 3 hours to simmer. The hardest part is cleaning the crab! Make extra stock to freeze.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs dungeness crabs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 lemon
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons whiskey
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
Crab Stock (use 1 quart)
- 1Clean the crab and remove the meat from the shell.
- 2Reserve the meat. Use the shell to make the crab stock.
- 3Crab stock:.
- 4Heat the olive oil in a heavy stockpot.
- 5Add the crab shells, carrot, onion and celery; brown lightly.
- 6Add brandy and ignite. When flames have expired, add the water, garlic, bay leaf, tarragon and tomato paste.
- 7Bring stock to a low simmer for 2 to 3 hours and reduce to 1 quart.
- 8Strain through a fine sieve and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 10Make a roux in a heavy saucepan by melting 4 ounces (1 stick) butter over medium heat. When foam subsides, add the flour all at once. Stir constantly, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring until it is blond-colored (about 5 minutes).
- 11Add crab stock, cup by cup, whisking thoroughly after each addition. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes, skim frequently.
- 12Add heavy cream, juice from the lemon, tabasco, worcestershire, old bay and white pepper. Bring back to simmer for 10 minutes.
- 13Add the whiskey, sherry, 2 tablespoons butter and the reserved crab meat; cook 1 minute to heat through. Salt to taste.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whiskeyed Crab Soup
Serving Size: 1 (757 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 926.4
- Calories from Fat 630
- Total Fat 70.0 g
- Saturated Fat 40.5 g
- Cholesterol 341.3 mg
- Sodium 946.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 42.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning