Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This all-in-one hot-pot would, in times past, have provided two meals; meat and vegetables for one and broth for another.
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, cubed
- 8 ounces streaky bacon, rashers each cut into four
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 pints water
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 small turnips, cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herb (parsley, thyme, sage, etc. mixed)
- white pepper
- 1⁄4 pint cider
- 1⁄2 lb potato, weighed after peeling
- 3 leeks, cut into rings
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and fry the beef and bacon lightly, then sprinkle over the flour and fry for a further minute or so.
- Add the water and bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then skim.
- Add the onions, carrots, turnips, herbs and seasoning and bring back to the boil.
- Add the cider, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes and leeks, cover and simmer for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve, sprinkling each portion with a little finely chopped parsley.