Recipe by Antifreesz
8 servings, 1 1/4 cups=4 points plus per serving..
Top Review by Patrick M. Mitchell
I FOUND IT! I couldn't remember where I found this soup last winter, and of course I lost the recipe in a move. This soup ROCKS! The barley is an inspired addition, offering some of the chewiness associated with meat, but adding fiber instead of fat. It's also really good substituting sweet potato for half of the regular potato.
- 2 cups potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 cup chopped leek, white part only
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, crushed dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces bacon, Canadian cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- In a slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, leek, garlic, chicken broth, barley, bay leaf, thyme, pepper, and Canadian bacon. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Stir in evaporated milk and Half-and half and heat through, uncovered, about 10 minutes.