Bavarian Sausage-And-Kraut Supper
- Ready In:
- 4 cups medium egg noodles (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 cups granny smith apples, sliced (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sauerkraut, drained (I never drain it!)
- 14 ounces turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain and set the noodles aside.
- While the noodles are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion and caraway seeds, and cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring constantly. Add apple, sauerkraut, and sausage, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth and sherry, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes. Serve over the noodles.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made a vegan & low sugar version of this using Morningstar Sausages and I cut WAY back on the Sherry and skipped the pasta. The apples and sauerkraut made the most unexpected and delish surprise! I don't know why someone else gave this only 3 stars? I also don't know why that person added walnuts in a recipe like this and then punished the poster for a mistake they made. If you're going to modify a recipe, as I did, I think you need to take responsibilty if it doesn't come out as great as expected. Well, thank you smellyvegetarian for this recipe. I'm confused by your name, but you shared a great recipe which was easy to modify for health conscious eaters. Well done! Great Vegan OktoberFest dish!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Knoxville, TN with DH, my beautiful son, and the most spoiled cat on the planet! I grew up in Cincinnati and landed in TN by way of Bloomington, IN and Santa Fe, NM. Needless to say, it's been a long, strange trip!! To explain the name: I was veg for 11 years, vegan for 1. In the last year or so I started eating poultry and fish again, but my brother-in-law's nickname for me (smelly vegetarian) has always stuck. Also...thanks a million to my Zaar fairy godperson :)!!! <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Holiday-plaid_HPI.gif"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/590105/hcabc.jpg> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/My-3-Chefs%20banners/my3chefs2008Small.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">