Savory Applesauce (Accompaniment to Pork Chops)
- Ready In:
- 8 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 5 -7 garlic cloves (each clove cut into quarters)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, simmer all ingredients except the salt and pepper, covered, stirring occasionally until the apples are falling apart and the garlic is tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Mash the garlic pieces to mix with the applesauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have made this twice now, once as written and the second time using up some unsweetened applesauce...both times fabulous! The second time I sauteed the garlic, and then mixed the applesauce and other ingredients in the same pan that I had used to brown the pork chops, and I really liked the way it picked up that flavour in that variation. This recipe really makes pork chops sing!