1/10 Photos of Weight Watchers Barley With Butternut Squash, Apples and Onions
This recipe comes from the Weight Watchers website but I had to share it here because it's absolutely fabulous. The combination might seem a little strange but it was an instant hit with my family and is one of my favorite dishes. The garlic and thyme blend with the sweet and savory flavors to perfection--you will not believe your mouth! You can serve this with salmon or chicken or do like I do and make it your main course!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled & diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1Bring 3 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to a boil in a medium saucepan; add barley. Cover saucepan and simmer barley until tender, about 30 to 35 minutes; drain.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add squash and cook, stirring often, until it's starting to soften--about five minutes. Add the onion and red pepper and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- 3Stir in apple, garlic, thyme, black pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring, until apple is almost tender, about 2 minutes; stir in broth, scraping bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits. Stir in cooked barley; toss over low heat to mix and coat. Remove from heat and serve. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- 4*To make this vegetarian, use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Weight Watchers Barley With Butternut Squash, Apples and Onions
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.5
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 522.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 4.5 g