Baked Acorn Squash and Apples
photo by yogiclarebear
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 little water
- 2 apples, cored and sliced thin
- canola oil
- maple syrup
- pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut the acorn squash and scoop out the seeds and strings.
- Put a little water in a baking pan; place the halves face down and bake for 1/2 hour.
- Then, take it out and put the sliced apples in the middle (some will fall over the sides, it's okay); drizzle with canola oil and maple syrup, and sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice.
- Bake for another 1/2 hour to 40 minutes (until the apples are soft and browning).
- Put your acorn squash halves in individual plates; scoop up the stray apples and stray maple syrup and spoon over the squash.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 5 more reviews
This is a nice comforting food for supper. I cooked this with recipe #50498 and it was a wonderful meal. I did make some changes. I used butternut squash instead. I put the apples in the middle hole, and then layered them along the top. I used Mutzu apples. I was worried about just eating apples mushing up and turning it into sauce, so I used a cooking / eating apple. I used brown sugar instead of maple syrup. Since I couldn't find pumpkin pie spice, it dawned on me that you use nutmeg, ground cloves, and cinnamon in pumpkin pie so I used those spices instead. Wonderful versatile recipe that lends itself to any squash veggie!! Definite paws up from me and my family!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a real estate agent in the lovely city of Rochester, New York. That's not what I expected to do with my life. I got my bachelor's in psychology, my masters in literacy education, and I taught high school special education for two years. Then I discovered that helping people find the homes of their dreams was my real passion. I've been doing it for over two years now and still absolutely love my career. Other than that, I have a very spoiled Border Collie mix named Bear that I adopted from a local shelter in spring '08. He's gorgeous and fun and brings me great joy. Now if only I could find a man like that... LOL!